Wednesday, October 12, 2011

The Song: Three Cups of Tea

As I've mentioned on this blog, I enjoy listening to books on tape while I drive across the Rocky Mountains for my work.  There are certainly pros and cons to listening to books instead of reading books.  When I read books, I underline quotes that I want to be able to come back and find with ease, and that's not possible with a book on tape.

On the other hand, in some cases, the author reads the book him- or herself.  Last Spring listened to Sarah Palin's America By Heart: Reflections on Family, Faith and Flag, which was read by Sarah Palin and it was A GREAT BOOK!  I listened to it twice -- which is a HUGE compliment given that I have to listen to things that will keep me awake.  The book was read by Sarah Palin and it was a joy to listen to her stories in her voice.  I WHOLEHEARTEDLY recommend this book.

Another positive about listening to books is that sometimes the book will add a song to the end, which was either mentioned repeatedly in the book, or was written because of the book, and you get to hear that song, which would wouldn't from reading the book.

Such was the case with the book I just finished, Three Cups of Tea, which tells the story of Greg Mortenson who went to Pakistan to climb K2, and left with a passion to build a school in a village that housed him after his climb when he lost his way.  His passion to build one school eventually led to an organization, Central Asia Institute (CAI) that builds many schools throughout Pakistan and Afghanistan.

At the end of the book was a song, "Three Cups of Tea".  The book and the song get their name because of a custom Greg came to know through his interactions with different tribal leaders in Pakistan.  When you meet someone, you share a cup of tea -- you are a stranger and you are welcomed with tea.  A second cup of tea means you are a friend.  When people share a third cup of tea, you become family.

The book, Three Cups of Tea did not make me cry.  The song, "Three Cups of Tea" did make me cry, especially considering that the child's voice heard throughout the song is Greg Mortenson's daughter, Amira.  Enjoy "Three Cups of Tea".

** Note, for some reason, youtube gives you the warning and makes you say that you're 18 to view this video.  This video is all lyrics and does not even contain pictures.  There is nothing in any way inappropriate on this video.  Please watch and enjoy. **


My next listening book is Decision Points by President George W. Bush -- unfortunately not read by President Bush, but I'm into the second CD and I am REALLY enjoying it.


What books do you recommend for my drives?

image signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and joining the conversation.