Friday, October 28, 2011

Proud to have Married a Cardinal

I had already written a post for today (I write my posts the night before)... but the post I wrote will have to wait because a subject is much more pressing than anything else I might post.


 The St. Louis Cardinals won game 6 of the World Series in an EPIC, Legendary, Memorable, AMAZING game!


Less than an hour after the game was over, Youtube had clips of the most exciting moments of the game, so I am able to share with you the highlights of the game:

David Freese took the game into extra innings by tying the game in the bottom of the ninth:



Lance Berkman saved the game and kept it in extra innings by tying the game in the bottom of the ten:



David Freese hit the winning walk-off homerun bottom of the eleventh:



David Freese grew up in St. Louis, attended Lafayette High School and loved cheering for the Cardinals as a boy.  What a storybook tale about the hometown boy who grew up to help the Cardinals take the World Series to Game 7 for the first time in 9 years.  There are and will be little boys all over St. Louis pretending to be David Freese.

As exciting as these World Series games are... my favorite part of the game comes, every game, during the 7th Inning Stretch.  I love hearing someone sing "God Bless America"

When Chris and I took our big baseball trip over a year ago, it was interesting which baseball parks sang "God Bless America" before "Take Me Out To The Ballgame" and which did not.  It was about 40% "God Bless America", 60% not.

To the best of my memory, I never remember hearing "God Bless America" at baseball games -- or anywhere for that matter -- before September 11, 2001.  I could be wrong on this... I wasn't known for following baseball at age 17, when the terrorists attacks occurred.  Maybe "God Bless America" has always been sung during the 7th Inning Stretch at Baseball Games before "Take Me Out To the Ballgame."  But, my perception is that after September 11th, our country

When did "God Bless America" make its comeback into modern day?



Throughout this World Series, I have enjoyed seeing various Servicemen and women sing the song.  Celebrities sing "The National Anthem" and servicemen are given the honor of singing "God Bless America".  I was able to find one clip from the 2011 series and a cute clip from last year's as well:

Listen to all the voices joining together here singing, "God Bless America!"



I am one like this family -- I sing to "God Bless America" and I put my hand over my heart for "The National Anthem" -- even if they're on television.  I think this little girl is being raised very well!



WAY TO GO CARDINALS!

Thank you for a VERY exciting game!

image signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and joining the conversation.