Monday, July 22, 2013

Gratitude: Day 16

Today, I am grateful for the doctors in my life.

When I was living in Greeley last month, a friend of mine was having some problems feeding her 9-week-old baby.  She had a question for her pediatrician and I was in the car and overheard her conversation with the pediatrician's secretary.  The bottom line is that she was never even allowed to leave a message for the pediatrician because the baby had not been to his first appointment with that practice yet.  His two-year-old big sister was a patient, and he had an upcoming appointment scheduled for the following week, but the secretary would not let the mother ask a question about her son, because he had not yet been seen by the pediatrician.

I was appalled, and promptly called my Daddy (a pediatrician for nearly 60 years) and had her talk to him about her baby.  My dad (as per usual) listened very carefully, made several recommendations, encouraged her to call back any time, and eased her fears.  He gave her wonderful advice.

Today, I am SO grateful that with three phone calls, I can talk to three doctors -- no secretaries involved.

Last night, I had a little medical scare, and within twenty minutes, I had spoken to three doctors -- after hours, on their cell phones -- my dad, my sister-in-law, and my friend.

I have never had to depend on a secretary to LET me leave a message for a doctor, and I have probably taken that for granted in my life.

Today, I am SO grateful for the doctors that I can reach at a moment's notice, and who offer excellent, calming, quality medical advice.

15 days down -- 5 to go!!!

image signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and joining the conversation.