Sunday, July 21, 2013

Gratitude: Day 15

Today, I am grateful for practice.

Last week I taught A LOT of Orientation and Mobility lessons, and it became very clear to me that I need practice.  My instructors are supervising me, and telling me what things on which I can improve, and they have told me they can tell I came from a strong O&M program... but all of that doesn't account for the practice that I need in simply teaching these skills.

Three years of teaching blind students does not translate to automatically teaching O&M well.  There is a reason this is an entirely separate certification, and why it requires 9 weeks of students teaching -- these people knew what they were doing when they designed this criteria.  I need the practice.

Last week, I had to consciously tell myself several times to focus on MY STUDENT and not look around at the cool downtown of Tucson.  This really takes practice.

As I look ahead to my LAST week in Tucson, I am grateful that I will have more chances to practice teaching and improve my skills before my next 3 week practicum placement.

14 days down; 6 to go!!!

image signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and joining the conversation.