Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Treasuring the Present: Time to Ask


I am currently listening to a wonderful audio book called
Wisdom of Our Fathers: Lessons and Letters from Daughters and Sons by Tim Russert

via
Tim Russert wrote an AMAZING book about his father called
Big Russ and Me
Father and Son: Lessons of Life

via
I read Big Russ and Me a few years ago and I LOVED it.  It was such a wonderful read about an honest, honorable, hard-working All-American dad and the lessons his son realized.

This book, Wisdom of Our Fathers, is a sequel to Big Russ and Me compiled by some of the letters Tim Russert received as a response to Big Russ and Me.

I am loving listening to these stories of children recalling tales of and time with their fathers.  Many of the writers are now parents themselves and they write with the beautiful perspective of time.

As I listen to story after story of children remembering their fathers (most of whom have passed away), I cannot help but think of my father and the stories of his life, and the wisdom he has imparted to me over the years.

Surprisingly, as I listen to more and more stories, I do not just think of my father...
I find myself thinking of my son.
** Note: I do not have a son **

As I listen to story after story, and spend hours thinking about my father's life, I spend hours thinking about my unborn son, or sons, and how I want them to know the life and wisdom of my father.

I hope and trust that my father will meet my sons... but I am also realistic.  My father turns 80 years old tomorrow (Praise God!! And Thank God for the 80 years my father has had on earth!!), and my children are not born... not even conceived.  My father has longevity in his genes, but chances are good, my father will not live to see my children have children.

Today, I am thankful for time.

I am thankful that, after listening to the book Wisdom of Our Fathers, I can compile a list of questions I still have for my dad; A list of questions, that want to record his answers, so I can share them with my children and grand children.

Here are my parents with my nephews
Questions to Ask Dad:
  • What was the moment you realized my mom was the love of your life?
  • What was the hardest trial of your life (thus far) and what brought you through?
  • What is your favorite memory of your grandmother?, mother?, father?
  • Did you ever spend time with your paternal grandparents?  I don't remember any stories about them.
  • What do you consider your greatest accomplishments?
  • What are the medical cases you will never forget?
  • Why did you choose Muskegon to set up your practice (I know this answer, but I want it written down)?
  • When did you know you were a man?
  • What was it like growing up with a twin sister?
  • What do you miss most about your twin sister?
  • What hopes and ambitions do you have for the rest of your life?
  •  How often did your dad take you and Uncle Bob camping?
  • How many Cubs games and Northwestern games did you see live without paying?
  • When you were a boy, where did you picture yourself living?  How many children did you picture yourself having?
  • What has been the biggest trial of your marriage and how did you and mom get through it?
  • What are some memories you have of America during WWII?
  • What did you do on your average Saturday in 1943 (when you were 11 years old)?
  • What would you want my children to remember about you?
I'm so thankful that I still have time to ask these questions.

image signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and joining the conversation.