Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Treasuring the Present: Middle School Frisbee


On Monday nights, when I think about what I am Treasuring In the Present and write my Treasuring the Present Tuesdays, I always forget weekly things that happen on Tuesdays.

Today, I am treasuring the weekly middle school after-school Frisbee classes I teach -- although "teach" is a very generous term.

Chris' school sponsors some after-school activities for students, and I ran an Ultimate Frisbee course in the Fall and a Frisbee and Other Games course this Spring.

Some people are meant to be middle school teachers -- my husband is one of those people.  His patience and humor and love and expectations crate a perfect classroom for middle school crazies.

I, on the other hand, am not naturally drawn to middle schoolers.

This after-school class has been a great chance for me to get to know some of Chris' students better, to challenge myself in relating to middle schoolers, and to challenge the middle schoolers on concepts like teamwork and kindness.

The time with the kids has been a great experience and I need to treasure this time.  This is such a fleeting time in these students lives... soon they will be in high school and involved in their own groups and activities -- who knows if they will ever play together in this same way again.  I need to enjoy the time I have them and I need to consider it a blessing every time one of them stretches my patience... I need to know what lies ahead in middle school years with my own children.

Sometimes my patience needs to be stretched.

image signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and joining the conversation.