Monday, August 12, 2013

Worry

The Bible has a lot to say about worry... specifically, not to do it.

Anxiety in a man’s heart weighs him down, but a good word makes him glad.
Proverbs 12:25 

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 4:6-7

Casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you.
1 Peter 5:7

I understand why God tells us not to worry.  I know that the Bible says Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to your life? (Luke 12:25) but I have a really hard time with Jesus' instructions not to worry.  I don't see worry as a lack of faith.

When I am worried, I pray more.  I pray more diligently.  I think more clearly.  My synapses fire like crazy, and I get better ideas than I would when I'm not worried.  When I am worried, I'm afraid... and I know the Bible tells us not to fear...

Have I not commanded you?  Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go.
Joshua 1:9

But do you ever feel like fear is needed to wake you up to a situation?  I sure do!!

Since Hubby and I found out that we are expecting a baby, some would say I worry a lot.  Well, what is your definition of worry, because I think I try to brainstorm solutions to problems I see on the horizon... a lot.

Since we found out we are expecting, I have a lot of things on my mind, and I am praying like crazy.  Is that worry?  Or is that responsibly laying my burdens before the Lord and petitioning Him for solutions?  Is daily brainstorming the same as worrying?

wor·ry

wor·ried, wor·ry·ing, noun, plural wor·ries.
verb (used without object)
1.  to torment oneself with or suffer from disturbing thoughts; fret.
2. to move with effort: an old car worrying uphill.

Yikes... that sounds horrible.  No wonder God instructs us not to worry -- that sounds miserable.  I don't think I'm tormenting myself with disturbing thoughts.  I think I am thinking, and thinking, and thinking about possible solutions to problems.  I don't think I'm worrying -- I think I'm brainstorming. 

How does God feel about brainstorming?

What do you do when you have a problem?

Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you.  Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid.
John 14:27

image signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and joining the conversation.