Thursday, May 23, 2013

Treasuring the Present: My Job

I know I've already done my "Treasuring the Present Tuesday" for this week... on Tuesday, but I was full of gratitude last night for my job, and I was afraid it might not last nearly a week.  So, I'm doing two this week.


I am not always a cock-eyed optimist, and so I am sure I have shared some parts of my job that are not my favorite in the past.  And the truth is, if I worked in a city, or a school for the blind, there would be a variety of benefits compared to my current job; however, right now for this stage of life, I really like my job.

Yesterday my boss and one colleague and I met to discuss planning for next year -- and it was a REALLY GREAT MEETING.

Sure, it could have gone better if my boss had said that my employers had just been granted 1 million dollars for being the best agency in the country -- and they were planning to give me half... but barring completely unrealistic expectations, the meeting went about as well as I could have asked for it to go.

There was give, and take, and discussion, and compromise.
There was brainstorming, and problem-solving, and cooperation.
The meeting yesterday was exactly the type and tone of a meeting that colleagues should have when working together.

  • I really enjoy traveling to such a wide area to serve students who live out in the sticks.
  • I love the independence I have with my job.  I have this area and these students and these responsibilities... and I get to choose the order I accomplish them.
  • My boss supports me.  WHAT A BLESSING!  When I need advice, or am having a real problem, I know I can trust her to offer sound advice and support me when need be.
  • While other teachers work with the same colleagues year after year... I get to work with the same kids year after year.  I get to see my students grow year after year, and it is such a joy.
  • This year I have had two colleagues.  One is retiring this year and so, next year, we may be a two-person department.  That being said, I really like my colleagues.  I LOVE the woman who's retiring... she is BRILLIANT and I learn so much from her every time we work together.  The one colleague I will still have next year is a great guy, and we have a lot of respect for each other.  In the meeting yesterday, we needed to negotiate something with our boss, and he and I were a team in our request.  It is so nice to be a part of a work environment where we stand together and support each other.

image signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and joining the conversation.