Monday, January 28, 2013

More is More...

I agree that in many instances, Less is More.

Currently, I am in a stage of life where More is More.

I have so  many things going on at the moment, and somehow I'm managing to do them.  Graduate school is somehow getting done, and because I have so much going on in other areas of my life, I am actually planning ahead for the semester and more on top of things in class than I've ever been before.

I seem to have more transcriptions to start this year than every before and they are more complicated than ever before... and I'm getting them done.  I am using whatever time I have and transcribing like crazy.

I am treasuring my time with my hubby because he just started a grad program too.  When we actually have a moment when both of us are not working or sleeping, we cherish more than we have since we were first married.

I am not wasting time like I have in the past... if I have a moment before my student arrives for a lesson, I am planning the next lesson, responding to an email, reading a quick post from graduate class... doing ANYTHING to use those moments as effectively and efficiently as possible.  If I have a moment to spare at home, I'm grabbing the vacuum cleaner, writing a letter to a friend, trying to plan long-distance baby showers, and trying to start a research paper that's not due until April.

I don't necessarily have my readings for class ahead of time (this drives me CRAZY), so I try to anticipate what my teacher will assign for the next week, so I can start reading ahead.  We read chapter 1 of this book last week, do I think we'll read chapter 2 this week, or chapter 1 of another book?

I am more diligent about doing my  exercises because there is no putting them off.  It's not a question of, "Do I workout now and relax later?"... it is "I won't be relaxing until I fall into bed at 10pm tonight, so I might as well exercise now to try to get enough energy to see me through."

In some ways, I love stages of life like this.  I feel very productive and on-the-ball, and that I'm being a good and responsible steward of my time and talents.  It is a very blessed time in that I can devote so much time and energy to my job and my degree without neglecting children or a husband who needs my time.

In other ways, I know this pace cannot continue forever.  This cannot be a permanent life change of every moment spent feverishly working on work and school and exercise and teaching.  I will burn out at this pace.

In the meantime though, I am more purposeful with my time... even the rare (very rare) time I have to spare, I am write the letters I've been meaning to write, I try to do special things for my hubby, make phone calls to good friends, and treasure time with my parents.

In this case, for now at least, more is more.


image signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and joining the conversation.