Friday, May 25, 2012

Some Graduations are Special...

Some Graduations are Special...
Some Graduations are Really Special.

Chris and I were privileged to attend a really special graduation this week.

I teach students across five school districts and stay with the same students year after year from age 3 to 18... or sometimes age 21.

By looking at this picture, you would have no idea how
VERY difficult it is to get a picture of this girl smiling
and standing next to someone.

One of my students (the one in the purple gown) graduated earlier this week.  When one of my students graduates, it is a big deal.  I've only been at this job two years, so I certainly cannot take credit for the majority of the progress this student has made in her 21 years, but I have loved working with for these two years.  I will seriously miss her next year.


I remember the first time I met this student.  I remember how much I relied on her special education teacher and her paraprofessional to help me get to know her.  This student is nonverbal and has many medical issues.  I was doubting my abilities and wondering how I was every going to get to know this student.  And then I got to know this student.  And then I came to love this student.


And now, I will forever remember and often miss this student.


Congratulations to 2012 Graduates!

Some graduations are really special. 

image signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and joining the conversation.