Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Overcomer

Last week, I heard a song for the first time and it has been in my head every since.

Not only has the song been in my head, but God has been using it to convict me every time I hear it.

Before I heard the song for the first time, it was introduced on K-LOVE radio, and the DJs were talking about Mandisa's new song, Overcomer.  Something they mentioned was that Mandisa's new video had recently aired on Good Morning America, and that Good Morning America host, Robin Roberts was featured in the video.  Also, former Senator, Gabrielle Giffords was in the video as well.

My first thought in hearing this was,
"Oh, come on Mandisa.  Really?  These are the woman you wanted in your video?"

I am so ashamed that this was my first response.  Because I don't agree with these womens politics, I instantly let my opinion of Mandisa fall by her association with them.  I never ever considered letting my opinion of these women grow by their association with Mandisa.

Then... I heard the song, and I was COMPLETELY convicted about my attitude.  Here these woman had agreed to give God the glory for their journey and recovery by being in this video, and I had dismissed them because of what I knew of their politics.  I was so, and I am so ashamed that my view of them was so myopic and politically-driven.

The Lord still has so much work to do on me.

Then, I saw the video, and was surprised to find that it really focuses on overcoming health-related obstacles.  To listen to these words, I was taking encouragement for any obstacle I was facing -- large or small... but to see the video, it tells a very clear story about people facing physical adversities.

Watching the video reminds me of my sister, who eventually lost her life to cancer.  To be an overcomer, you don't necessarily have to win your fight... to be an overcomer, you simply have to fight.  You let God do your fighting... or as the song says,
"You're an overcomer.  Stay in the fight to the final round.  You're not goin' under cause God is holding you right now.  You might be down for a moment, feelin' like its hopeless, that's when he reminds you, you're an overcomer."

I hope you enjoy this song, and video as much as I did, and I pray that those who shared their journey in this video are blessed for their appearance in this Christian, God-glorifying song.




image signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and joining the conversation.