Saturday, September 21, 2013

Off Again...

I'm off again...

this time to Austin, Texas for my LAST Orientation and Mobility Practicum placement.

I am up, down, back, forth, and inside out about leaving.

I am ready to finish my practicum.  I am READY to check this off my list.  I have worked SO HARD in order to be able to be away for three weeks, and so I feel like THAT was the hard part -- all these weeks and weeks and weeks of preparation... going to Austin and completing this FINAL placement is the easy part.

I have so many fun and exciting things to look forward to in Texas -- time with my best friend, football games -- starting tonight, I'm going to the Kansas State v. Texas game!!!  I am going to one of the premiere places for vision research in the country and I will have such an amazing opportunity to learn things not only about Orientation and Mobility, but also about teaching students with visual impairments in general.  This really is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for me.

Three weeks is a long time to be away from my husband.  This trip isn't a long weekend, or a conference, or even a week -- three weeks is a LONG time.  I miss my home, my animals, the man who is the love of my life.

When I was freshman in college, for Spring Break, I toured Cuba with the choir.  It was amazing, but during the last day before I left on this trip, a male friend of mine started blurring the line between friends and more than friends.  I remember not wanting to leave him to go to Cuba, and as soon as I had those thoughts, I just told myself that this was unacceptable.  I remember walking across campus, and I told myself that I was headed to CUBA, and I was not even going to think about this guy until I came back.  I was going to have the time of my life in Cuba, and this guy was not going to rob me of this amazing experience.

I want to give myself a similar talk as I board the plane to Austin... but this isn't some guy who might become more than a friend... this is my husband.  This is the man I've chosen for the rest of my life.  This is the man is the one who's child I am carrying.

Austin, here I come.
I am up, down, back, forth, and inside out about leaving.

image signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and joining the conversation.