Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Treasuring the Present: RIGHT NOW



Sometimes I get really angry.
It is like the simmering heat of every day stresses finally reaches a boil, and I just boil over with anger.  Nothing ESPECIALLY infuriating happens, but the average stresses of daily life become a little too much for that moment, and I get really angry.  It doesn't happen often, but it does happen.  Once or twice a year.

Yesterday, I was REALLY angry.
From average stresses, to un-returned emails and phone calls, to lack of sleep, to too much driving, to physical pain, to a feeling of being overwhelmed, I boiled over and I was ANGRY!!!

However, with a glass of wine, and a little perspective, by the end of the day, I found myself REALLY treasuring the present, and being so thankful for RIGHT NOW:
  • My husband is sick with a stomach bug... but he is only sick with a stomach bug.  He spent yesterday in bed, but I was able to care for him.  He was able to take a paid sick-day off of work, and it was just one day.  This illness is not chronic, he will heal in time, and this illness is not a big deal.  I am so thankful that this is the illness in our life right now.  It could be so much worse.
  • I have a sunburn and my arms hurt... but my arms only hurt due to a sunburn.  I am healthy, happy, and strong.  I accidentally got myself sunburned, but that is the only physical pain I am dealing with today.  I am young and healthy and my body still works the way it is supposed to.  I am so grateful that a sunburn is the worst of my pain.
  • My hubby and I have jobs we enjoy and we make enough money to enjoy our life.  Money is tight for us, but we pay our bills and we have heat, and shelter, and enough money for fun!  I look around our house, and pictures hang on the walls, which means we can afford to print and hang pictures.  On rough days, we can have a cocktail, which means we can afford little luxuries like alcohol.  We have monthly date nights when we agree, on those date nights, not to worry about the cost of dinner, and we can afford to do that.  We are both in graduate school expanding our knowledge and we are paying for those additional degrees.  The Lord has provided all we need.
  • My clothes are a little snug around my middle... I wish I was thinner and had a naturally higher metabolism -- yesterday my mom told me about an article stating the risks of being under-weight.  I stopped her and said, "Why don't I cross that bridge when I come to it."  That being said, my husband and I have enough food.  We are able to afford nourishment and the Lord provides for our needs daily.  I am physically able to exercise and work my muscles in an effort to lose my unwanted weight.  Life is good, and I am so grateful for the present.
  • My hubby and I eagerly anticipate eventually having children.  We are not ready for children... but we hope to have them someday.  Today, right now, we are so happy with our current life -- both working, enjoying our marriage, and planning to start a family in time.  Some day, we might be worried about the financial burden of a family, or concerned for the health of a child, or concerned that we are having trouble making a family -- but right now, we are so happy, just the two of us, preparing for a family.
Yesterday, I was so angry... and yet I am so grateful for the present.
Our present is perfect.
We are safe, healthy, protected, provided for, happy, and loved.
Even when I am angry, our present is perfect.

image signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and joining the conversation.