Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Treasuring the Present: Spontaneity with my Hubby

I have come to really enjoy my weekly posts about Treasuring the Present.  No matter what is going on, it is a good weekly exercise -- sometimes challenge to specifically focus on something in my life that is currently happening and worth treasuring.


This week, I want to specifically treasure times when my hubby and I can be spontaneous, fun and a little foolish.  This past weekend, we went to Phoenix for a little getaway and to visit my grandmother.

The trip was planned, but what was unplanned was that we left for Phoenix at 1:00am Friday morning and arrived in Phoenix around 12:00pm... and then on the way home, we left Flagstaff at 9:00pm Sunday night and arrived home at 5:30am on Monday.

We drove through the night on both occasions without really having a reason why.

I climbed into bed around 11:30 on Friday night and I knew I was a good hour away from falling asleep and we were supposed to leave for Phoenix the next day.  Knowing that, I said to Chris, "A part of me just wants to get in the car and start driving tonight instead of waiting for tomorrow."

After a quick pro/con discussion, we were on the road 1.5 hours later.

Mostly, we talked about how it would be better for our animals and our car to travel at night -- cooler and we knew between the two of us, we could safely travel through the wee hours of the night.  In a nutshell, I'm pretty good at staying awake while driving.  I get into a zone and I will not be tired for hundreds of miles while driving.  Chris is pretty good at sleeping in the car.  That combination means that I will drive a few hours -- usually around 6 while Chris sleeps and then when I have hit my driving limit, Chris is rested and ready to take over.  It works really well.

Sporting our Cardinals gear at a Diamondbacks baseball game! :-D
Each of us had so much fun being spontaneous, driving through the night, and arriving at our destination early.  Subsequently our sleep/wake schedule is still a little screwy, but we are on summer vacation, so that's okay at the moment.

I have waited so long for a husband, a best friend for life to have as a companions and fellow adventurer, and I am overwhelmed with how fortunate I am to have the husband I do to make my dreams come true!  I have always taken adventures, but having a partner and lover on the adventures with me -- spontaneous adventures and planned adventures brings more joy than I ever could have imagined.

image signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and joining the conversation.