Friday, November 22, 2013

So Convicting

The other morning, I was reading in Billy Graham's book Hope for Each Day, and I came upon a story that has stayed with me and continued to convict my heart.

Hope For Each Day
November 20
Abiding Peace

Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God. Isaiah 41:10

Whenever I think of God's faithfulness in the midst of suffering I am reminded of my dear late friend Corrie ten Boom, the remarkable Dutch woman who (with her family) hid Jews from the Nazis.  After being imprisoned in Ravensburk, the infamous concentration camp, Corrie traveled the world telling her story of suffering, forgiveness, and joy.

For thirty-five years she never had a permanent home, but when she was eighty-five and in declining health, some friends provided her with a lovely house in California.  It was a luxury she never dreamed she would have (and one she never would have pursued on her own).

On day her friend, the late movie director James Collier, was visiting.  He said, "Corrie, hasn't God been good to give you this beautiful house?"

She replied firmly, "Jimmy, God was good when I was in Ravensburk, too!"

Most of us will never experience the horrors Corrie knew.  But no matter what we face, we can depend on God's promise: "Fear not; for I am with you."

In my head,  I know that God is good and faithful in all circumstances, but I am so much quicker to recognize it and praise Him for it when times are good, joyful, and peaceful.  When I am stressed, overworked, tired, grieving, or upset, God is good.
When I am relaxed, rested, joyful, thankful,or happy, God is good.
God is good in the storms of life as well as the calm seas.

I need to consciously begin seeing God's goodness and faithfulness in ALL circumstances... not just the happy ones.

image signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and joining the conversation.