Saturday, September 8, 2012

Choices and Purposes

Have you ever read the book The Shack?
 It is an awesome read.

I read it a few years ago and it quickly became one of my favorite books, and I recently started the audio book again that I'm listening to in the car.

I have not done vast research as to whether this story is said to be true, or a fiction, or somewhere in between because I will never know the answer and so I don't need to spend much time thinking about it.

via
 In the introduction of this book, the author says it is a true account of what one man experienced.  If that is true, I think it is beautiful.  If it is not true, it is an amazing story.

So far my favorite quote comes from a conversation when Mack is asking God about free will and how a loving God can allow such awful events on earth.  God answers that humans have free choice, and he often does not like the choices His children make...
"But your choices are also not stronger than my purposes, and I will use every choice you make for the ultimate good and the most loving outcome."

My choices are not stronger than His purposes.

I know God uses everything for good, but I love the language of that quote.  My choices are no match for God's purpose.  His thoughts are higher than my thoughts and His ways are higher than my ways.  But God's purposes will always prevail over my choices.  My choices can create negative consequences... but God's purposes are not subject to my choices.  I love this revelation.

I am not so important, nor are my choices so earth-shattering that they affect God's purposes.  God and his purposes are stronger than my choices, than other people's choices, than any human's choices!

I would recommend The Shack to add to your fall reading list.  Even if you've read it, this might be a great time to experience the story again.

image signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and joining the conversation.