Friday, November 27, 2015

My Letter To Macy's Regarding the Parade

 To Whom It May Concern Regarding The 2015 Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade,

I have loved watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade for as long as I can remember.  Now, I have young children who are beginning to also enjoy the parade each and every year.  It is a fun and exciting Thanksgiving tradition for us, now spanning generations, as I know it is for many families around the country.

As I am now "the mom," I am not always able to give the parade my full attention for the duration of its airtime.  Unfortunately, I did manage to catch the Build-a-Bear float and accompanying song in this year's 2015 parade.

I am very displeased and disappointed with the choice of song performed this year on the Build-a-Bear float.  While Sofia Carson looked beautiful and was appropriately attired -- she, initially, appeared as though she would make a good role model for young children -- the parade's target audience -- until her song began.

"Rotten To The Core" is a horrible message to be not only condoning but promoting to children in a most public parade appearance and advertising campaign of the Holiday season.

As a mother, I am appalled that Macy's -- the company that asked the question of American, "Do you believe in Santa?" and now reminds the public that, "Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa," and to, "Believe in the Magic of Giving," would want to, in any way be associated, let alone deliver such a message.

Now, instead of campaigns like, "Believe in the Magic of Giving," and songs like, "Its the Most Wonderful Time of the Year," from the parade, I can expect campaigns and songs with messages like, "They say I'm trouble, they say I'm bad, they say I'm evil, that makes me glad"?

I hope you seriously consider the message with which you want to affiliate in the future.  What I take away from the parade this Christmas is that Macy's is changing with the times and encouraging children, 'You don't have to be good -- in fact, be downright rotten, and proud of it.'  This is definitely NOT a message I want my children to hear or receive any time of the year, but most especially headed into the Christmas season.  

I have come to expect better from the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade and want my children to grow up enjoying the annual tradition as I did.  If these sort of songs and messages continue, my family will no longer be participating in the tradition or taking our business to Macy's.

Respectfully,
Mrs. Brooke Miller

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and joining the conversation.