Saturday, January 11, 2014

Lately...

I haven't really had much to say on this blog recently because, to be honest, there is SO much on my mind.  And, its not like my life has been in the past where "so much on my mind" means company coming, or work reports due, or a national certification exam on the horizon... that is a kind of stress I am used to.  I have had nearly 25 years of practice with that kind of stress.

On my mind these days is the magnitude of what's about to happen in our lives.
And the fact that I don't know when its going to happen.
And the fact that some days I am ready for it, and some days I am terrified.

Chris and I are about to be PARENTS.

Just the birth alone is full of decisions...
  • natural birth or medication
  • home birth or hospital birth
  • obstetrician or midwife
  • pediatrician or family practitioner
  • spontaneous delivery or scheduled inducing
  • vaginal birth or cesarean
 
... Then, the decisions are only just beginning...
  • breast-feeding or bottle feeding
  • breast milk or formula
  •  bassinet or co-bedding
  • cloth diapers or disposable diapers
  • circumcision or not
  • vaccinations or not
  • swaddling or ... is there an alternative to swaddling?
  • baby carrier or baby wearing
... and that is the smallest, simplest drop in the bucket or our decisions ahead...

Then, to add a huge dose of seriousness to this tremendous life event, childbirth is a dangerous business.  Women give birth to healthy babies every day... and I am thinking positively about how our birth and delivery will go... but tragedies happen during labor and delivery as well.  Giving birth is serious business, and is not without serious risks to both mother and baby.

Lately, I've had a lot on my mind that I'm lifting up in prayer.

If you think of me in the coming days and weeks, please pray for all the decisions ahead, all the things on my mind, the labor and delivery ahead, and the safety of our baby and me through it all.

image signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and joining the conversation.