Saturday, January 7, 2017

Shared Hobby

I am realizing now, almost three years into being a mom that, when I hear that someone is expecting a baby -- an old friend from high school, college, or graduate school, a long-lost acquaintance, or a neighbor I do not know well, I am filled with joy, but not for the reason you might think.

I am filled with joy, yes, because it is a new life, and a blessing, and a new little person coming into the world.  But I am further filled with joy because this old friend/long-lost acquaintance, or neighbor I do not know well has decided to take up a shared hobby of mine -- motherhood.

I feel like this person has just opened a whole new door of common ground that we can share together.  Maybe this friend and I have lost touch... but we share a hobby and have a completely new shared interest upon which to nurture our friendship.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and joining the conversation.