Wednesday, May 18, 2016

They Will Wait...

Most people are familiar with the saying that the house work will wait... 
the dishes will wait... 
the work assignment will wait... 
the [insert adult responsibility here] will wait.
 
 
It's the general sentiment that the little things in life are more important than the chores...
Take an evening walk with your husband...
Stop and smell the roses...
Run through the sprinklers with your kids...
Give your dog a belly rub...
Rock your baby to sleep...
 
 
I'm not saying that those are not wise sentiments... they absolutely are.
 
However, I am learning that the dishes, the laundry, the house work, the adult responsibilities do wait...
They Wait For Me.
 
I posted a few days ago that I'm trying to get outside with the little ones during the beautiful days... and it takes a lot of effort, but it is worth it for us to get some sunshine and burn some energy.
 
And, I'm trying to develop a system where I can walk all three children to the park when the weather and temperature permits.  I haven't tried it yet, but I'm very optimistic.
 
I am learning that on beautiful days, when any of my two babies or one toddler needs attention, or special play time, or an extra fun game with Mama, the chores do wait... they wait for me to do them at a later time.
 
That's the flaw in the plan.  Everything does wait, and no one else comes along to do it while I'm out having fun with the kids.  The next load of laundry does not run, the dirty dishes in the sink get piled so high you cannot actually do the dishes because there is no longer room to wash them in the sink, and our wood floor passes for carpet because the dog and cat hair sheddings are so think.
 
I need to find a balance this summer...
Yes, treasure the moments with my little ones...
Yes, enjoy the time outside...
Yes, stop to smell the roses and see the bigger picture...
But still get the dishes done.
 

1 comment:

  1. I wholeheartedly agree. What a tough balance we navigate everyday!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and joining the conversation.