Friday, November 21, 2014

Solo-parenting


Hubby has been gone for the past week up hunting in Wyoming with his dad and brothers.  This has made me the only parent keeping the home fires burning for the past seven days.  It has not been easy.

I have always had a lot of respect for solo parents, widowed mothers, or the wives of servicemen, and after this week, I can say, despite my respect for them, I really do not want to be one.

My hubby will be the first to tell you that, even when he's here, I am the primary care giver of Tracey Ann -- it wasn't THAT big of a change to be the only one in charge... and yet, it WAS a big change because there is a difference in having backup when you need it and flying solo 24-7.

This year I have really been working on my attitude to focus on joy and gratitude in all situations... so I have been trying to focus this week on the positives of having Hubby out of town.  I came up with the following list:
  • I am grateful that Hubby was able to go hunting and have great time and fellowship with his dad and brothers
  • I am grateful that Hubby has a passion and desire to provide for our family through hunting
  • I am grateful that God saw fit to provide an elk for our family for this winter, and that Chris was able to kill it and bring it home
  • I am grateful that Hubby was not injured when the power plant across the street from where he was standing exploded
  • Around our house, I was grateful for less laundry
  • I was grateful for less dirty dishes
That was it... there weren't a lot of positives in my book for having Hubby gone, which I think is a good sign.

Tracey Ann and I had a blast, Lexie and Lloyd tried to help where they could, and I'm pretty sure I was just getting into my solo-parent routine right as he was coming home, but we are SO excited to get him back!

I hope you had a great time, Babe, because I'd prefer you don't leave for a week again for at least a year.

This is what Tracey Ann did when I told her her daddy got an elk:



image signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and joining the conversation.