Saturday, May 3, 2014

Grammar: I or Me

Today's post is brought to you by a simple grammar lesson... when to use I or Me.

To be honest, I do not know the proper name of the different parts of speech -- whether you use a past participial, or supporting adverb... I think both I and Me are pronouns...?  Maybe...

What I do know is when to use each of them; you take away the other person, and that's the proper I, or me (or her, or she) to use.

He and I will rent a movie (think: I will rent a movie, or He will rent a movie... then put them together).  Not Him and me will rent a movie (Him will rent a movie... Me will rent a movie... no way!)

She and I like to ski (She likes to ski; I like to ski).

Will you come to the park with her and me?  (Will you come to the park with her; Will you come to the park with me)

The baby loves to spend time with Chris and me (The baby loves to spend time with Chris; The baby loves to spend time with me)

You would never say, "Me likes to ski" or "Her likes to ski" -- therefore you never say "Her and me like to ski..."

You would never say, "The baby loves to spend time with I"... so you would never say, "The baby loves to spend time with Chris and I"

Once you know the rule, it really is very simple.  Now go, and enjoy your new command of the English language.


image signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and joining the conversation.