Sunday, February 27, 2011

Thank You For 30 Years!


February 28th marks my parents 30th wedding anniversary. CONGRATULATIONS, Mom and Dad!!!

You have given me such a strong example of what qualities make a successful and enduring marriage:
  • unconditional love
  • compromise
  • putting another's needs before your own
  • the importance of fun and humor
  • never go to bed angry

Even as I write this, I respect what it takes to make 30 years of marriage work... but more than anything, it baffles my mind. This year I will be starting my FIRST year of marriage -- and I have no idea what challenges, hardships, joys and trials lay before me. You have successfully lived and loved THIRTY YEARS of MARRIAGE. I have not even lived 30 years of life!!! I can't even fathom 30 years of marriage.


Thank you for your example. Thank you that I know, without a doubt, I was born from your love for each other -- not your love for children -- your love for each other. Dad, you loved Mom so much, SO MUCH, to have a child with her at age 51. Because you loved Mom so much, you were chasing a toddler in your mid-fifties, teaching me to water-ski, throw a softball, and play tennis in your sixties, and paying college tuition bills in your seventies.



All of those things were your love for me... but really, it was your love for Mom.


And Mom -- you married Doctor Sanden! The same man who dictated medical charts at the office... and to this day, he still dictates letters to you at home. You have taught me what it means to love and respect your husband. You are a real-life Abigail (not that I am saying my dad is a real-life Nabal. REALLY, he's not!!!) You stand by dad in all things and I hope to follow your Proverbs 31 wifely example as Chris' wife.

I have carried with me every day that I am a product of your love and respect for each other. EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. you put the needs of the other above your own needs. (Please provide Chris and me tips on HOW to do this!!!!)

Thank you for 30 years of loving each other more than yourself.

image signature

1 comment:

  1. Thank God for healthy exemplary marriages to look up to. Hubby's parents also celebrate their 30th this spring/summer. Praise God from whom all blessings flow!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and joining the conversation.