Sunday, August 27, 2017

Tracey's Room

Tracey has had the same room since about two weeks after we moved into this house.  She was still in a crib when we moved, so we kept her in a crib for a few weeks, but between my ever-growing twin pregnancy belly, and her ability to climb, we moved her to a new room with a twin mattress on the floor after about two weeks in this home.

We never felt the need for a toddler bed for her.  We liked that with a mattress on the floor, she could roll out of bed without getting hurt, and we could lay down on the mattress next to to her to read stories without breaking a toddler bed.

I had to do some digging to find a picture of how her room was set up with the twin mattress on the floor, and this was the best I could find...


That set-up has served her well for almost two years, but we were gifted a bunk bed by friends of ours at the beginning of the summer, which we gratefully accepted.  It spent the summer in our garage until a few weeks ago, when Hubby constructed the bunk bed.

It's not a traditional bunk bed with two parallel beds, but it still fits very well in the space in her room.  Right now, she sleeps on the bottom bunk, and enjoys climbing up to the top to play -- in fact, now the twins have also learned to climb up to the top to play, which to terrifying for a number of reasons.





Eventually Tracey will share this room and will probably sleep on the top herself, but we have some time to figure out with whom she will be rooming and what the arrangement will be.  When the time comes that we create long-term room assignments for our children, we might rearrange the furniture, and I'd definitely like to paint the room, but that is still a few years away.

Last year for my birthday, however, Tracey picked out a gift for me of flowering trees and Frozen the movie sticker decals for her walls saying that this was a project we could do together.  Hubby helped her with this idea, and I will be very honest -- at the time I had just marked one year of having three children ages two-and-under, the twins had just turned one-year-old, and were still nursing, and Tracey had not yet turned three.  Hubby was still in graduate school, and the twins were becoming more mobile every day.  I was none too thrilled that my birthday present was a Do-It-Yourself project that Hubby had chosen for me, that I now had to complete with my almost three-year-old.  I couldn't even just lock myself in her room with some good music and do it myself -- we were supposed to do it together.

Well, I made a point to "misplace" those wall decals for quite some time... but after the bunk bed was assembled, and before the new baby arrives, it seemed like the perfect time for Tracey and me to work together on this fun room decorating project.  I'm sure the decals won't last forever, but we want to paint the room in a few years, so this seems like the perfect interim decor for our big girl and oldest sister.

Here are some pictures of her room before the project:



Here she is helping me with the stickers:



And here is the finished product:






I'll be honest, some of the flowers stickers are not sticking to the wall very well, which could be that they are a few months old, or it could be they have been rolled in their package for a long time.  Either way, the flowers may not last long, but Tracey loves her room, and it was very fun for the two of us to do together.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and joining the conversation.