Sunday, May 31, 2015

How God Sees Me

Lately I've been pondering thoughts relating how I feel about Tracey Ann as her mother, to how God feels about me as my father... and frankly, the more I think about it, the more my mind is blown and the less able I am to comprehend it.

For one second, I'm going to call a spade a space and admit that Tracey Ann is a completely normal baby.  She has not mastered quantum physics, she has not sat down at the piano and played a Mozart Concerto, she is still working on English let alone Greek or Latin... her accomplishments and developments are completely average, healthy, and normal.

However, as her mother, and Hubby, as her father, are BLOWN AWAY by her development.  We are so incredibly in love with her that we sincerely believe she is one of the most brilliant children on the planet.  We have high expectation for her intelligence, and obedience, and communication skills, but we are still overwhelmed with pride when she meets or exceeds our expectations.

She is a very typical child, but to us, she is the only child.

Is it seriously possible, that God is equally proud and enamored and pleased with my average self as I am with Tracey Ann?

I am so confused here because I think God has very high expectations for me, and I fail to meet them all the time.  And yet, the Bible confirms time after time after time that I am God's child, that God delights in me, and that His love is without measure.  That would mean that he is as, if not more delighted by me as I am with my daughter.

That would mean, God does not see me as typical or average, but sincerely loves me every day regardless of my actions, regardless of my inability to meet His standards.  That would mean that He is in love with me and is proud of me as though I am His only child... but He is God and so He can literally express that to every one of His children.  Just like I know Tracey Ann in a closer, more intimate way than anyone on the planet, God really does know me better than I know myself -- He really knows the number of hairs on my head, and how often I shed them.

Evelyn Underhill said, "If God were small enough to be understood, He would not be big enough to be worshiped."

The more God reveals truths to me about His love and about His character, the more I understand the power and truth of this statement.

image signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and joining the conversation.