Thursday, December 22, 2011

A Joyful Noise

Christmas Candlelight Service
Chris and I and my parents attended the Candle Light music service at my church this past Sunday.  It was the first time I had seen the service in ten years -- and the first time seeing the service but not participating in the service in 23 years.

Christmas Candlelight Service
I was blown away by the beautiful Christmas music created by three choirs, two handbell choirs, a string ensemble and a harpist.  The place was PACKED, which was wonderful to see and we felt truly privileged to attend the service.

Christmas Candlelight Service

Christmas Candlelight Service
 Hearing these beautiful Christmas songs song by beautiful and very talented voices made me think of some of the most memorable performances I have ever witnessed in my life...

Christmas Candlelight Service
A few stick out in my mind, and each of the singers were sick and in each case the singers were simply making a joyful noise to the Lord.

Christmas Candlelight Service
 In one case, Carrie Underwood had a very hoarse voice as she croaked "The First Noel" on stage at the Grand Ole Opry in Nashville, Tennessee.  At one point, between vocal whispers she said, "Make a joyful noise, Y'all."  She was doing her very best to sing and her voice sounded nothing like her famous, strong voice -- and it was the most memorable song of the night.  A sincere voice praising her king.

In another case, Chris and I attended a new church in Colorado a few weeks ago and a woman suffering from multiple sclerosis sang "Little Drummer Boy".  The pastor mentioned that the singer had missed church recently due to her pain, but that God had put a song in her heart and led her to share it with us that Sunday.  The woman was in a motorized wheelchair and was dressed very nicely for church -- she looked like someone who is sick and dressed up.  The song was so beautiful and I cried through the entire thing.  She sat in the wheelchair and sang her heart out ... probably wracked with pain and it was one of the most memorable performances I've ever seen.  That is the result when a joyful heart makes a joyful noise.

image signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and joining the conversation.