Thursday, October 20, 2016

What I'll Remember...

We spent this past weekend in Colorado Springs with some of Hubby's family, and we had such a great time.

Well, I will remember that we had such a great time.

I really love how nostalgia highlights certain parts of memories and glosses over others.

If I'm being really honest, the trip was not the greatest... but I will remember that it was wonderful.

I will not remember that we only had one hour at the children's museum before it closed for the day -- I will remember how much fun the twins and Tracey and Zivah had in the time we had before it closed.

I will not remember how hard it was to have four children under four on a boat, on choppy water -- how the older girls did not want to fish, and the babies hated wearing their life vests -- I will remember that it was a beautiful day on the water, and we had a really fun picnic on the deck by the lake after our boating trip.

I will not remember that Tracey was sick and cranky while Hubby and I had a date night, and we came home to a very unhappy little girl -- I will remember how much fun our date night was -- shopping, and dinner while we watched great college football and baseball playoffs.

I will not remember how sick and cranky Tracey was at the zoo -- I will remember how much she loved the bear show, and how she and Zivah both sat in Hubby's lap because they wanted to be close to the bear, but they wanted to feel safe in his lap being so close to a huge bear.

I will not remember that the pumpkin patch was the windiest place and kept blowing gusts of dirt all over everyone, or that the older girls were exhausted and kept bursting into tears every few minutes -- I will remember how cute they looked in their costumes, and that they had fun on the tractor ride.

The memory really is selective, and when a trip ends on a good note, the entire trip is remembered with affection.

We are now home, Tracey is back to her healthy, happy self, the weekend really was fun, we would love to go back to Colorado Springs for more adventures, we love that our family came out for some fun... and there really is no place like home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and joining the conversation.