Thursday, July 7, 2016


Hubby and I have left all three children in the care of another party three times since the twins were born.  Twice over Spring Break last March (once with my parents, once with Hubby's parents) and once last night.

In the past when Hubby and I have left Tracey while we've had a date, or even over night once or twice, I have come to expect communication from our baby-sitters.  Ideally, I appreciate pictures sent to me once or twice with a picture of Tracey peacefully reading or sound asleep, or having a blast playing.  At the very least, I expect a response to my text messages when I ask, "How's everything going?"

I am now learning, when I leave all three children in anyone's care, not to expect any responses to my text messages.

Hubby and my mother-in-law sent me to The Muny theatre with my sister-in-law a few nights ago for us to enjoy seeing The Music Man.  It was a lot of fun and we had dinner first... and it was my first time leaving all three children with Hubby and help (his parents).  No one responded to my calls or texts all evening as I tried to ascertain if everything was okay in my absence.  I later found out that everyone more or less got by... but there was definitely not a hand free to deal with answering my calls.

Then last night Hubby and I went to dinner with his siblings and spouses, just the six of us with no children -- which was SO much fun, by the way.  My mother- and father-in-law watched all of our three children, and again, no one responded to my calls or texts.  Well, they couldn't spare a hand for the phone.  The only time they sent me any message was after we had been gone a few hours and they texted to say Caroline had been crying for 20 minutes... and that was the end of dinner.

We rushed home to find Caroline sobbing in Memaw's arms, Howard asleep in Peepaw's arms -- and he unable to move without awakening Howard, and Tracey lightly asleep (she awoke when I went in to check on her).  Mom and Dad breathed a huge sigh of relief when we took over the kids and they were finally able to have their dinner, which had been sitting ready in the kitchen for the two hours we had been gone.

I guess from now on, when no one responses to my text messages, it means things are not so bad that they are sending a message for help.  Maybe someday I will get that illusive message that everything is under-control with an attached picture of everyone playing peacefully... but until them I will be happy to arrive home to all children accounted for.

When we arrived in St. Louis, my mother-in-law told us that she and Hubby would watch the kids Tuesday while I went out, and she and Peepaw would watch the kids Wednesday while the siblings went out, and then she and Peepaw would watch the kids Thursday while Hubby and I had a date night.  After we got home Wednesday, she asked for a few nights off before she takes the kids again for our date... :-D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and joining the conversation.