Sunday, September 11, 2011

Stations of the Flag


As I lay awake in bed this morning at 4:30am MST, 6:30am in the East, I can't help but think there should be three stations to our flag.  
  1. The flag should fly at Full Mast most of the time, 100% high in the air
  2. Half Mast during times of National Tragedy at 50% height... 
  3. Then there should be a third setting -- 150% height when full mast just isn't quite high enough to express our overwhelming emotion for an event and unwavering pride to be an American

I fly an American flag outside Chris and my house every morning and take it down every evening.  Someday, I hope "Colorguard" will be a job of each of our children as it becomes a family responsibility to hang our flag in the morning and take it down each evening.  I know Old Glory is supposed to fly from dawn until dusk, but as I lay in bed, in the dark at 4:30 this morning, I needed to hang the flag immediately.  I couldn't wait until first light -- our flag needed to fly in the morning darkness so that at the very first light, the Red, White and Blue would already be waving and flying strong.

Today, I wish I could raise my little flag pole to 150% its normal height.  The lump in my throat is huge right now, and my eyes are filling with tears on this 10th anniversary of September 11, 2001, but I don't want my flag flying at half mast, I need my flag flying through the tragedy, amidst the tragedy, on top of the tragedy.


God Bless America today and every day.

Many thanks to the men and women who protect our great land at home and abroad.  The Lord Bless you and keep you and bless your families.  Thank you to the first responders throughout our country who do not think twice before entering harm's way so that others are saved.

image signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and joining the conversation.