Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Thank You: Magic Words!

Thank You

Two little words, and yet so influential, so meaningful, so beautiful.
I've been trying to spend November with a focused and thankful heart, but for some reason I don't often associate Thankfulness and the words Thank You. Don't get me wrong, I say Thank you many times throughout my day, and Thank you is consistently present in my prayers, but I just haven't put the two together until today.

Today, my wonderful roommate specifically came up the stairs before she left and thanked me for some work I've been doing for a mutual friend. She said she felt like I have been going above and beyond for this friend, and she felt like maybe it was going unacknowledged. She just wanted to say
Thank You.

The words
Thank You are magical - I guess that's why parents tell their children to "Say the magic word"... wait, Please is the magic word. Nevertheless, Thank You is a magical phrase. I felt so appreciated when my roommate said that to me. I had such a good attitude about continuing to go above and beyond for this other friend.

First thing on today's agenda was a much-anticipated meeting. A meeting that could have included fireworks of all kinds... well, all kinds, except the good, pretty and celebratory kinds. The meeting was very productive, very collaborative, and... very appreciative. A colleague and I were openly thanked by several teachers at different parts of this meeting, in front of the group, to commend us on the work we do and on the skills we bring to the students in this school. These acknowledgments were completely unexpected and very appreciated. The spirit of thankfulness and the verbal Thank Yous that were offered kept a very positive, cooperative tone in the meeting. And, you know what? I am rejuvenated and excited to continue serving this school and giving them my best every day I'm there.

Thank you
are magical words!
Psalm 95:2
"Let us come before His presence with thanksgiving"
Psalm 100:4
"Enter into His gates with thanksgiving, And into His courts with praise. Be thankful to Him, and bless His name"
Philippians 4:6
"Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God"

The Bible talks about thankfulness and thanksgiving, and the more I think on the subject, the more I think my (or humans in general, our) desire to be appreciated is not an egocentric, conceited characteristic, but is from the Lord. We are made in the image of God, and the Bible tells us to express thankfulness to the Lord for what He has done - that must mean that thankfulness, i.e. Saying Thank You, pleases our Creator.
What a great arrangement - the Bible calls us to be thankful and express thanksgiving, and those magical words carry power on earth along with pleasing God in Heaven. Basically, only good things can come out of practicing thankfulness and expressing a thankful heart. It's the best example of a WIN-WIN I've heard in a really long time.

Thank you
are magical words!

Thank you
for reading my blog. An additional Thank You if you comment on my posts every now and then. It encourages me to read your comments and your feedback and share your lives through this crazy blogosphere.

image signature

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for a great post! Thank you for a great reminder of the importance of saying thank you out loud. I might think but I also need to say it.

    I hope you have a great day, Brooke!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and joining the conversation.