Tuesday, July 21, 2020

When Youth Are Young

Hubby went to the school board meeting last night where parents and community members where sharing their thoughts regarding the forthcoming school year with the school board.

Over 100 community members addressed the board and then emails were read aloud.

Hubby came home and told me about the meeting and some of the perspectives that were offered at the meeting.

He said one person who spoke is a rising high school senior.  Among other things, this student said something like, "My friends and I are seniors in high school and nearly 18 years old.  We don't need adults telling us what they think is best for us -- we know what is best for ourselves."

Hubby said, the entire room quietly chuckled when that passionate student shared his thoughts.

Hubby and I each probably would have said the same thing at age 18... but so many changes come with the passage of time... I certainly don't think of myself as being "old" -- but here I am, an adult, a mother responsible for five of my own children and chuckling at this high school senior who does not want the adults to tell him what is best for him.

Time marches on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and joining the conversation.