Sunday, May 10, 2020

Things My Mother Has Taught Me


Things my Momma has taught me:

  • How to choose love
  • How to change a diaper
  • How to iron, vacuum, sweep, clean counters, make beds, and do laundry
  • How to host company
  • How to prepare for a dinner party
  • How to plan ahead for as many variables as possible
  • How to enjoy reading
  • How to follow my dreams
  • How to pray
  • How to lean on Jesus
  • How to stand by my husband
  • How to entertain toddlers
  • How to bake cakes, pies, cookies, jams, and breads
  • How to can food
  • How to strip and apply wall paper
  • How to care for a dog and a cat
  • How to sing in the car
  • How to enjoy a movie night with junk food
  • How to workout at home
  • How to give a good food rub
  • How to curl my hair
  • How to be low-maintenance (no manicures, no dyed hair, nothing that requires upkeep)
  • How to go to the store and come away friends with the cashier (this may also be a midwest thing)
  • How to be a friendly mid-westerner
  • How to laugh
  • How to re-tell a story
  • How to maintain long-distant friendships
  • How to be patient
  • How to plant flowers
  • How to give my children a very different life than I had (she gave me a very different life than she had)
  • How to not take my children for granted
  • How to apply sunscreen
  • How to dress up
  • How to relax
  • An appreciation for farmers
  • Respect for the elderly
  • Kindness
  • Joy
  • Faith
  • How to enjoy exercise
So many of these lessons, I have not learned well despite her being such a wonderful teacher.  But I am so grateful for everything she has taught me and I am so grateful that she is still here to continue to teach me.

Happy Mother's Day, Mom!

I miss you.


















No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and joining the conversation.