Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Papa's Surprise

Last week, my brother, Trent, came in to Rifle for one day to surprise my dad for his 85th birthday.  My brother and I have been planning this for a few months and it was extra special because he has never been to Rifle, never visited Hubby and my home, and never met any of our kids.  It was a really big day to have him here.

I told my parents that we were all going to attend an assembly at Hubby's school, where Hubby was going to be honored, that started at 9:30am.  My brother had one day to spend with us, and we wanted to get my parents to Rifle as early as possible, so I created a false assembly we were all (my parents, the children, and I) going to attend in order to get them to Rifle nice and early.

I did not anticipate they were going to tell dozens of their friends that their son-in-law was receiving a big award in Rifle, which is why they had to get to Rifle so early... on well.

They got to my house at 8:30 in the morning (my brother had arrived at 8am), and I sent them up to their bedroom where "Tracey had a birthday surprise for Papa."  I knew by saying that Tracey had a surprise for Papa, first of all, our three-year-old would be in the guest room and wouldn't let the cat out of the bag on the walk up the stairs, but also my parents would be expecting a picture she had drawn, or a balloon or something a little lower-key than my brother.

We all got to spend the entire day together (except Hubby, who had to work until the evening), but it was so special.

My children love their uncle, and Tracey took great pleasure repeatedly saying, "Uncle Trent is my uncle... and Mama's brother... and Papa's surprise." 














 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and joining the conversation.