Sunday, February 26, 2017

Names

I love the names that my generation (and my demographic) are naming our kids.  I had to add my demographic, because, truthfully, I don't have a large circle of friends outside my demographic... so I don't know a lot of their kids names... and I had to add the part about my demographic because some names out there are just plain weird.

But, that disclaimer aside, I love the names that my friends and acquaintances have chosen for their children.

First let's review the top ten (based on my experience) very common names of my peers that were a dime a dozen in school as I was growing up:
  • Ashley
  • Rachel
  • Megan
  • Sarah
  • Chris/Christopher
  • Nicholas
  • Steve
  • Lauren/Laura
  • Katie
  • Ryan
I heard these names ALL THE TIME.  To me, the all just seem very average, probably because I heard them so often.
 
Now, as my generation is naming children, I love the old-fashioned names that my generation is bringing back.  I do feel that I am doing my part with the names Caroline and Howard, and even Tracey is an older name... not grandmother old, but still a few decades ago old.  Even the Miller cousins are doing their part with older, less common names like Zivah, Mayah, Judah, and Silas.  
 
Some of my favorite names of my friends' children include:
  • Loretta (Lottie)
  • Hazel
  • Landon
  • Levi
  • Remington
  • Hunter
  • Gus
  • Micah
  • Elaine
  • Heidi
  • Abigail
  •  Charlotte
  • Eleanor
  • Stella
  • Emmett
  • Claire
  • Quincy
  • Soren
  • Beatrice (Bea)
  • Sullivan
  • Aidan
  • Selah
... and so many more.

Sufficed to say, I do not know of a single child age five or under named Chris, Nick, Sarah, Rachel, Ryan, Megan, Steve or Lauren

Nothing against those names, but I love that older names are coming back because I think they're beautiful, classy and classic... and hopefully the people bearing these names will be likewise in their character.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and joining the conversation.