Monday, August 10, 2009

Which Voice?

I love how God lets things cross my path in season. A few weeks ago, I came upon the story in Luke where the woman washes Jesus' feet with her hair and tears. Jesus says of her, "Her many sins have been forgiven -- for she loved much. But he who has been forgiven little loves little." Then to her, "Your sins are forgiven."

I had that concept in my head for days -- She who is forgiven of much, loves much.

A few days later, I read Matthew 1, the Lineage of Jesus. There are five woman listed in the lineage of Jesus, Tamar, Rahab, Ruth, Bathseba and Mary... and the whole time I kept thinking, "She who was forgiven of much, loves much."

The women, the five women out of all of history listed in the lineage of Jesus, each of them has a story that, at first glance, doesn't epitomize the Proverbs 31 woman.
Each of these woman have skeletons in their closet - if the woman herself is not involved in scandalous habits (like Tamar, Rahab, Ruth and Bathseba), then a scandal surrounds her despite her virtue (like Mary). As I read the lineage of Jesus and kept thinking of a woman being forgiven of much therefore loving much, and God choosing the stone that was rejected to become the cornerstone of His work.

Soon after I shared these thoughts with my roommate she found a Francine Rivers series at the library called "A Lineage of Grace" - five novellas of historical fiction about the lives of the women listed in Jesus lineage. I am currently reading the one about Mary because it was the only one in stock at the library when I went.

I'm enjoying the book about Mary and I'm ashamed to say I was surprised that the book is going to include more to Mary's life than just Jesus' conception and birth. When I think of Mary and Mary's faith, evidently, I just remember the Christmas story. I'm about 1/3 of the way through the book and Jesus just turned 13 years old.

An interesting part of the book is the way Francine Rivers writes the voice of Satan and the voice of the world verses the voice of God and the voice of faith.
When the angel told Joseph to take Mary as his wife, doubts come to Joseph's mind in bold italics but Truth comes in whispered italics.

The following example is from page 12:


"Now the time had come, and God was sending the Anointed One. And Joseph would see him. He would stand at the side of the Messiah's mother and protect the Chosen One as his own son.
You, a simple carpenter, stand as a guard?
Dark laughter surrounded him, and Joseph moaned in his sleep. I will kill them. And you, if you stand in my way.
Joseph groaned again and rolled onto his back. He opened his eyes and felt the darkness around him. Fear gripped him, until a whisper pierced it.
He will save his people from their sins. ..."

How often do I hear the voice of the enemy so much more clearly, more boldly than the voice of my Savior, the voice of my loving Father? So often Satan demands attention with a dark and bold voice, while our Savior speaks more quietly and more lovingly... more easily ignored. Father, please give me ears to hear You and Your words for me and guard my ears and my heart from the words and lies of the enemy.

image signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and joining the conversation.