Sunday, June 21, 2020

Things My Father Has Taught Me

** I have some great pictures of my dad and my hubby... and but they are not cooperating with my blog right now... I will hope to add some pictures soon, but for today, I just have words without pictures at the moment.

Things my Daddy has taught me:

  • How to drive a car
  • How to drive a boat
  • How to plan ahead
  • How to be on time
  • How to dress nicely for different events -- dressing nicely brings dignity to the occasion
  • How to calculate the miles per hour a car travels cross country
  • How to throw a softball (or any ball)
  • How to host a dinner party
  • How to play tennis
  • How to water ski
  • How to snow ski
  • How to speak in public -- slowly, clearly, and loudly
  • How to study for a test -- if you do it well, studying is the hardest part and taking the test is the easy part
  • How to rehearse for a play or speaking event
  • How to do my best
  • How to navigate an airport
  • How to name the states between Michigan and Colorado and Michigan and Florida
  • How to prepare for the future
  • How to save and invest
  • How to dance
  • How to take a gentleman's arm when offered
  • How to stay calm and make a plan
  • How to weigh pros and cons in a big decision
  • How to care for a pool
  • How to hunt for worms
  • How to fish
  • How to sail
  • How to swim
  • How to ride a bike
  • How to get the mail
  • How to remember what someone says in great detail and recount their words verbatim
  • How to shake hands
  • Respect for the elderly
  • Kindness
  • Joy
  • Faith
  • Strength of Character
  • How to take care of ill children
  • What to do to treat a soft tissue injury... and most other injuries and illnesses requiring at-home care
  • How to play croquet
  • How to play shuffleboard
  • How to rake leaves and trimmings
  • Pride in our ancestry
  • Grit
  • How to push a wheelbarrow
  • That everything has a place and there is a place for everything
  • How to listen to what someone has to say, consider what they've said, and then make up my own mind

So many of these lessons, I have not learned well despite his being such a wonderful teacher.  But I am so grateful for everything he has taught me and I am so grateful that he is still here to continue to teach me.

Happy Father's Day, Dad!

I miss you.
...

And Happy Father's Day to my own wonderful Husband.  I am so grateful for each and every child we are raising together and I am so thankful for a man who loves our children so much.  You are truly our children's hero, and I would not have it another way.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and joining the conversation.