Friday, February 1, 2019

The Perfect Syrup Pattern

The other day, I had the incredibly rare opportunity to take myself to breakfast in order to get some work done.  I got to take my time with my order and really think about what I wanted to eat knowing that I did not have to share it with anyone.

I ordered coffee, 2 eggs scrambled, 2 bacon strips, 2 pancakes, and a side order for crispy hash browns.

What a great meal.  The syrup was wonderful, and they even bring a coffee thermos/pot to the table so could drink as much as I wanted without having to interrupt my work and flag down my waitress.

What a treat.

I wasn't sure if I was going to eat my second pancake, so I finished my meal and then did the normal womanly pondering... is this worth taking home or should I just eat it here and be a little extra full.

I decided to really savor every bite of this working breakfast to myself, and I decided to eat the remaining pancake.

I do not like a soggy pancake, so I have perfected the perfect slow syrup drizzle over the years, which covers the pancake in a curly-q pattern.  Then, I take my knife and lightly spread out the curly-q to coat the pancake in the thinnest layer of syrup.  It creates the perfect hint of syrup with very bite without eating a soggy pancake. 

I went to begin my perfect curly-q pattern with the syrup, slowly pouring it, starting in the center of the pancake... ... and the syrup seemed really think all of a sudden.

This was weird.  I had no problem getting my perfect syrup pattern with my first pancake, why was my syrup suddenly really thin and hard to manage as I poured?  I tried again...and again it was just so thin this time.

I was truly perplexed.  What had happeded to my syrup.

I raised my glance from my pancake and plate just enough to see my syrup pitcher still sitting on the table in front of me...

... and that's when I realized I had the coffee pot in my hand.

Caffeinated pancakes, anyone? 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and joining the conversation.