Thursday, January 14, 2010

Glass Slipper


The Quote: "Brooke, you are a glass slipper in a sneaker world."


The Context:

In small talk with a colleague, he asked how my love life was going. From my answer he sort of teased me about the type of person I might be looking for. I told him I realize I might be waiting for awhile and that's okay with me.

He told me, "Sometimes its not Mr. Right, its Mr. Right Now."


I let him know in NO uncertain terms that "Mr. Right Now" is not an option for me. There is no "Mr. Right Now."


When he pressed a little further about the kind of person I'd want to date, I kept it light and told him not to start setting me up with his crazy friends. Then the conversation took a more serious turn.

He told me he would NEVER set me up with his sketchy friends a
nd if he ever sent a guy my way it would be with the real consideration that we might work well together. Then he thought a minute and said that he really couldn't think of anyone he's ever met that would be a good fit for me. I responded with, "Neither have I," and laughed it off.

Then he looked at me and said, "You are just... pristine. Brooke, you are a glass slipper in a sneaker world."

What a beautiful compliment from a random friend. What nourishment to my soul. God bless this colleague who offered such an unexpected word of blessing and encouragement to me.


The Analysis:

A while ago, I did a thoughtful post on Cinderella, so I think it's pretty cool that this thoughtful post is about a glass slipper. You see, when I think about it, I relate more to the glass slipper than I do to Cinderella.

The glass slipper is so strong - but incredibly fragile at the same time. How can something be strong and fragile like a glass slipper... but that is what I am.

The glass slipper has been admired in a number of ways - sometimes in its use while on a foot, sometimes for its beauty while on a pillow, sometimes in its delicacy while being held in a hand. It is always the same slipper but different people focus on different strengths and characteristics of the slipper.

Different contexts elicit different qualities:

The glass slipper has been useful and beautiful - its had a night in the limelight.

The glass slipper has been lost.


The glass slipper has been helpless.

The glass slipper has been carried.

The glass slipper has been searching.

The glass slipper has been tried on the feet of countless maidens hoping to find its owner.

The glass slipper is rare.

The match to the glass slipper is even more rare.

The glass slipper has no control over when her owner is found... she cannot do the searching herself.
She is at the mercy of the Prince who t
akes her to the different prospects.


I feel like the glass slipper... strong, fragile, beautiful, lonely, searching, displayed, waiting.

Yes, much more like the glass slipper than like Cinderella.


For more thoughtful randomness, visit Under Grace and Over Coffee.


image signature

7 comments:

  1. I love that, "glass slipper in a sneaker world." Thanks so much for stopping by my page and leaving a comment. I so appreciate it. God bless you and have a great day!
    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is indeed a wonderful compliment -- especially coming from a guy! :)

    Keep believing - your prince is out there and God's timing is perfect .

    Hugs,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! What a great post! What great comparisons. You write beautifully!

    Hope you have a wonderful weekend!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this is my most favorite post by you ever. This is beautiful. What a perspective. I love the way you look at things.

    Keep being a glass slipper in this sneaker world my friend. I think that is something us single Christian girls need to be. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Christy - keep being that glass slipper. I was once told something similar, and you know what? The man God gave me far exceeded what I had been willing to settle for previously. Even today I am in awe of how wonderful my husband is!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Methinks that when Cinderella met and married the prince she internalized all the characteristics of the slipper to be a wonderful wife. Hmmm... wonder who that applies to...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am just now reading this...but I wanted to comment. A glass slipper is such a beautiful compliment. I just know that God has the perfect match for you that he has planned for you before you were even formed in your mother's womb. One day you will be so glad that you kept your high standards of the man you were looking for. He will not only meet all of those standards, but also more.
    Blessings,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and joining the conversation.