Tuesday, November 8, 2022

Our Brains

 I teach some really awesome kiddos and they each are so perfectly unique.  I teach one little boy in a small group twice a day for some help with reading and help with math.  He really likes to be correct, so when he's working on learning a new skill, he has a tendency to get really frustrated.  This means that in addition to the work we do on reading and math, we also work on some behavior outbursts.

He's been doing better and better as the school year has progressed, and really seems to thrive on routine.

All that said, yesterday he and another boy worked really hard for me on some math concepts.  He also had to go back and look at a couple of problems a second time to make some corrections -- and he did so happily without any behavioral issues.

As he and the other student were leaving I thanked them both for working so hard for me.

The student looked at me and said, "Thank you for helping our brains get bigger."

That is one of those rare feel-good teaching moments I am going to hang on to for many years.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and joining the conversation.