Sunday, November 27, 2022

Michigan Football

 A few weeks ago I attended a professional development seminar with a few colleagues on a Friday in October.  The speaker began the workshop by asking each of the attendees to share something for which she was grateful.  The speaker said it could be something in our classrooms, and with our students, or in our personal lives.

Each of the other attendees shared something she was grateful for in her classroom and with her students.  I, unashamed, shared that I was grateful for Michigan football.

Of course, I am grateful for hundreds of things in my life -- probably thousands of things in my life, but Michigan football has been very important to me this fall, even moreso than in past years.

I have had a long list of stressors in my life since May.  I don't mean to complain, because a lot of these things are good things... but I have worked almost nonstop for months:

  • moving one hundred miles away
  • preparing a house to go on the market
  • living in a home while trying to sell it
  • trying to buy a home for 8 people in a town WITHOUT ANY HOUSES FOR SALE
  • starting a new job where the work is never done (I am filing two teaching positions that the district has never had before)
  • supporting my husband as he works a new job
  • being mother to our six children
  • moving a second time in three months
  • attending graduate school classes online
When I attended this professional development day, Michigan was going to play their in-state rivals, Michigan State the following day.  Michigan had not played the previous Saturday as they had a week off.

What I learned that previous weekend was that the only time during the week I let myself take a break and fully relax is when I'm watching a Michigan football game.  The weekend that Michigan did not play a game, I didn't put my feet up and relax at all.  I need that break each week and I really look forward to it.

I am so grateful for Michigan football.

I am also grateful that Michigan is undefeated with a 12-0 record for the first time since 1997.  That just makes those Saturday games where I relax all the more fun to watch!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and joining the conversation.