Tuesday, March 29, 2022

Brady's Birth Story Part 2

 This post will be continuing on with Brady's birth story.  You can read Part 1 here.

We left off with Hubby and me on our Baby Moon in Grand Junction.

I woke up the next morning having consistent contractions and not wanting to go to breakfast. For our baby moon weekend, it was abnormal for me to pass up a breakfast out. Both Chris and I agreed that we should head home with the thought that we might be going to the hospital soon.

I experienced consistent contractions about 3 to 5 minutes apart our entire drive from Grand Junction to Rifle. When we got to Rifle, I suggested that we not head to the hospital yet, but go catch up with my parents and our children at the local bike rodeo about a mile from our house.  My parents had been watching our five little ones, and they were brave enough to take our crew to the local bike rodeo put on by the local police station.  I knew my parents could use our help.  Also, it was an outdoor event, and I thought walking around with the kids might help my labor progress, and we were now closer to our hospital and could leave whenever we needed to. 


Walking around at the bike rodeo, and spending time with our children, completely stopped my labor.  We all came back home, and I took a bath and a nap, hoping my labor would pick back up.  It did not.  While my contractions had slowed considerably, our whole household was on high alert knowing that things could change at any time… and maybe progress rather quickly.  Adding to the overall tension of anticipation that evening, a mudslide between our house and our hospital closing down the interstate.

This was all happening on Saturday (my due date was not until Wednesday), and so amidst the false labor, and mudslides, my parents were also considering if they could go up to Vail to gather some items from their condo before returning to our home for the duration of their visit.  They did not want to drive up to Vail only to find out Chris had rushed to the hospital and they were not here to help with the children.

The decision was made that afternoon that Chris and I would not go to the hospital, but my parents would not go up to Vail.  Everyone just hunkered down at home with all eyes on me waiting for labor to begin.  Okay, not really, but that’s certainly how it felt.


By Sunday morning, all signs of labor had disappeared, so I sent my parents up to Vail and prepared Hubby and the older kids to go to school on Monday (the younger ones were home last year due to covid and virtual teaching).  So we all headed to bed Sunday night with my parents in Vail, the kids and Hubby ready for school the next day, and my labor completely stopped.

To Be Continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and joining the conversation.