Friday, February 9, 2018

My Romantic Groom

Leading up to this Valentine's Day, I want to try to remember the most romantic things Hubby has done for me thus far in our relationship.  I'm not sure how many posts I'll do, or what exactly I'll remember, but I think it will be fun to see which memories I consider most romantic in our history thus far.


Romantic Memory # 1
My Romantic Groom

On our wedding day... it was an amazing wedding and a day I still recount with great fondness and gratitude.  I still consider our wedding the most romantic and beautiful wedding that has ever existed and Hubby and I still talk about the day as being such a fun day, and one of the best and most special days of our life.  Nearly everything on our wedding day was wonderful... but Hubby did two things on our wedding day, that were not planned (on a day when I planned everything to a T), and the memories of these two things always makes me fall more in love with him every time I remember.

Before the wedding, our groomsmen came out to have their pictures taken with me.  While posing of the pictures, I commented on the way that the handkerchiefs were folded in their lapels.  The handkerchiefs were rectangular, and I asked if they weren't supposed to come to a triangular point.  The groomsmen and some wedding guests who were helping said that this was the way the tuxedo inserts said to fold them.  I just let it go knowing that I defintely would have preferred the handkerchiefs like triangles, but all the men were dressed and all the handkerchiefs matched in this rectangular shape... so that's the way they were going to stay.  No big deal.




However, when I walked down the isle and saw my groom, and all his groomsmen at the front of the church, all their handkerchiefs has been changed to be folded like triangles.
I later found out that word had gotten back to Hubby before the wedding that I preferred the handkerchiefs to be folded like triangles, and so he told everyone that's what they were going to do.  If his bride wanted triangular handkerchiefs, that's exactly what she was going to get.




To this day, I look back at those pictures with those handsome groomsmen with triangular handkerchiefs and I think my husband is so romantic for doing that for me.



Secondly, Hubby and I had a delicious wedding cake.  The baker came highly recommended to us from a friend, and one reason her prices were lower than other places were that we didn't get to tastes sample cakes.  We had a four-tiered wedding cake, and each tier was a different flavor.  I don't remember all of them, but I know we had carrot cake, red velvet cake, and some tiers that Hubby really liked with fruity fillings.



After we cut the cake, all the waiters distributed cake around the ballroom to everyone's seats.  Meanwhile, many people, including myself were away from the table when the cake was delivered.  At some point, I swung back by my table to see that I had been left a piece of cake, and I was thrilled to see that I had been left a piece of carrot cake.  I love carrot cake, and I was most excited to have that flavor of cake.  I didn't know if the waiter had been told that carrot was my favorite flavor, or if that was just the luck of the draw as the cakes were distributed.  Either way, I was thrilled, and the cake was delicious. 


I mentioned this to Hubby sometime after the wedding, either later that night or on our honeymoon, and he then told me that a waiter had brought me a different slice of cake, and at some point, Hubby was at our table and noticed this.  He sent the other piece back, and specifically asked a waiter to bring a slice of carrot cake to my place.


This is the man I married -- someone so thoughtful, and considerate, who on the biggest day of his life took every opportunity to the biggest day of my life even better.  Our day was full of very big activities all day, with so many people - friends and family from many miles away... but he knew that these two really small things -- the shape of the handkerchiefs and my slice of wedding cake would make my day better and Hubby made sure they happened my day.

To this day, I look back and think these are two of the most romantic things my Hubby has ever done for me.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and joining the conversation.