Friday, December 11, 2009

Friday Randomness: Movies with a dose of reality


For Friday Randomness today, the question is about Christmas movies and what fun movie traditions really say Christmas at my household...

Not to be a Scrooge or a realist, but honestly, movies mean nothing to me right now.

That's not to say I don't enjoy a great Christmas movie each year, please know, I do.
But seriously, it doesn't matter what movie I'm watching, it matters who I'm with. And I'm pretty emphatic about that at the moment because the people I love are elsewhere and I'm not in the mood for Christmas movies without them.

At this time in my life, these people are my parents, and I miss them like crazy. Their presence make a movie enjoyable for me. On that note, I will share a few of their favorite Christmas movies:

My dad LOVES White Christmas. He is a doctor and so his favorite scene is when
Danny Kay pretended to fall down the stairs and break his leg. The character says lines like, "It's probably just a small compound fracture," and "...small internal muscular hemorrhage." My dad laughs SO hard. I enjoy hearing my dad laugh more than I enjoy any movie.

Another Sanden favorite Christmas movie is "It's A Wonderful Life." My parents and I watch it together each year, but a few years ago, we watched it with my brother. He said the Mr. Gower line, "Do you think I pay you to be a canary?" right before Mr. Gower said it and he had his mouth all contorted like Mr. Gower's is. It was SO funny and now we think of my brother saying that line every time we watch the movie.

All that to say, for me Christmas is made by my parents, not by the movies.

For more Christmas movies, visit Andrea.

image signature

10 comments:

  1. I completely understand what you mean. Your dad's comment is so funny :)
    Blessings,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are our two top picks too!

    Take care,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree! I love that your movies have special family ties to them. Pretty much all of mine do, too. Especially How the Grinch Stole Chrismas - my husband gave it to me our first Christmas together. I love that he did that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brooke,

    I love these two choices as well as Holiday Inn with Bing Crosby and Fred Astaire and Bells of Saint Mary. Something calls me back to those good old fashioned black and whites!

    Love and Hugs ~ Kat

    ReplyDelete
  5. We love White Christmas here too! It's my in-law's Christmas eve tradition to watch before church. My family watches It's a Wonderful Life each year... they are family movies.

    Blessings,
    SnoWhite

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are two of my favorite favorite Christmas movies, and that's probably because of my mom and the times we've watched them together!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that your favorite movies are more about your family memories than the movies themselves. I can see why with such fun memories. Sometimes it is our memories that make things what they really are...and not the "things" they involve.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good movies have a way of touching emotions. It is cool to experience those emotions with family. I looked up White Christmas on IMDB.com, and it said "Up 687% in popularity this week." I thought that was neat.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very true about your comment being the audience making the movie. I think our family is slowly but surely easing into "It's a wonderful life" being a tradition. Its the very first movie I remember watching in Nigeria...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and joining the conversation.