Thursday, September 10, 2009

Caffeinated Randomness: September 11th


September 11, 2001.

We all know where we were and we know what happened.

There is only one September 11th to most Americans over 15 years of age.


I'm the director of a preschool and my boss has asked me for copies of a number of our licenses (childcare, fire inspection, etc). I couldn't find the fire inspection and so I had to call the fire department and ask for the documentation that the inspection was done.

A few days later a fireman called me back to arrange a meeting where I could get all the documentation necessary. We scheduled the meeting for 7am Friday morning.

7am, Friday, September 11.


When I put two and two together and realized that I was meeting with a FIREMAN the first thing on September 11th, I was kind of overwhelmed. Shouldn't fireman have September 11th off or something?

What can I possibly have to say to a Fireman in the morning on September 11th? Thank you? Thank you sounds so lame, but that feels like all I have to offer.

Luckily I baked chocolate-chip cookies this week and I can only hope I have enough for their whole unit. I hope they like chocolate in the morning.

Then last night, I had a thought about God's omnipotence. Maybe I've been chosen to meet with this fireman first thing on September 11th. I have no idea what his day will hold, but first thing he will meet with me, a girl who was in 12th grade 8 years ago and who will probably not be able to get through our meeting without starting to cry out of thanksgiving for what he does. Maybe God can use my gratefulness to make this anniversary better for him.

On another note, this is my first time participating in Caffeinated Randomness, so I figure I should at least answer the host's questions in addition to writing my random thoughts:
  1. I take my coffee BLACK and STRONG!
  2. Chocolate over shoes, NO CONTEST! I'm not into shoes... I'm VERY into chocolate.
  3. The song I'm really into at the moment is Britt Nicole (The Lost Get Found); My classic favorites include John Denver (Some Days are Diamonds, Some Days are Stone; Annie's Song; Thank God I'm a Country Boy), WICKED the musical (Defying Gravity - great to sing along!), and Stephen Curtis Chapman (The Great Adventure and Cinderella)
  4. How do I look fabulous? I attribute most of it to my red hair... thanks Mom and Dad!
  5. My favorite thing about fall is COLLEGE FOOTBALL! Specifically UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN football. I'm a timeless and true Wolverine. GO BLUE!
For more caffeinated randomness, visit Andrea.

image signature

7 comments:

  1. It is nice to meet you.

    I know that your gratitude towards the fire dept. will definitely make their day special.

    I am right there with you on the chocolate as well as the fall football...the only exception is that I am all about the Arkansas Razorbacks. Go HOGS!
    Blessings,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this blog. What a great idea for the firemen. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you are taking cookies with you today - sometimes the simplest gestures speak the loudest.

    So glad you stopped by!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Often what gestures we think are "lame" mean quite a lot to the people who are on the receiving end. Those men will be blessed by your gratitude and generosity.

    We used to live only a few miles from an air force base, and when I would see the servicemen and women out I would go up and thank them. Most of the time I got funny looks, almost like, "Leave me alone while I'm off the clock" (even though they were still in uniform. Then one day one guy told me how nice it was for civilians to reach out to them in thanks, and I knew it was all worth it, even if everyone didn't say something. The people who devote their lives to protect and serve us need to know how thankful we are to them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful thought...to take them something...just to let them know you are thinking of them today.

    I love the music from Wicked too! :)

    Have a fabulous weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are amazing Brooke! Your thoughtfulness and patriotism makes fro a great combination, as I have experienced first hand. I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a note. I should have said that I am allergic to chocolate! I KNOW. Bummer. But even so, I still love shoes and bags. Bags and shoes. I think I mentioned that.

    I am new to this meme to but it is one of my favorite ones to read and write. See you next week. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and joining the conversation.