Tuesday, July 25, 2023

Repeat

 I apologize for the lack of attention my blog has been getting lately... I'm not sure if it will continue into the future or not, to be honest.

It just comes down to hours in the day, and the time I do NOT want to spend on my computer.

But, I'm here tonight... I thought I'd clue you in on a song I have been playing on repeat that has been encouraging me and giving me joy every time I hear it.

John Denver's Alaska and Me

I listened to it a few nights ago and shared it with my husband and the song speaks to both of us in an incredible way regarding this move.  The only part of the song we find not really fitting with our story is the second verse about the women who became a bush pilot's wife -- not so much the case here.

The first verse talks about how the man came to Alaska (it echos very closely with my husband), and the bridge at the end has a line about what the couple hopes their children will gain from Alaska.

It is such a wonderful song, and like I said, I've been listening to it on repeat.


Lyrics:

When I was a child and I lived in the city
I dreamed of Alaska so far away
And I dreamed I was flying over mountains and glaciers
Somehow I knew I'd live there one day
Well it took me some growing, and a fair bit of schooling
And a little bit of trouble to get on the move
And I felt like a loser but I turned out the winner
When I came to Alaska the land that I love
Here's to Alaska, here's to the people
Here's to the wild and here's to the free
Here's to my life in a chosen country
Here's to Alaska and me
I was born in a cabin on Little Mulchatna
Raised in hard times but I had a good life
From the first time I flew with my father a singing
I knew that I'd wind up a bush pilot's wife
We sleep near the sound of a slow running river
And wake up most mornings to a drizzling rain
And we face every day like the first or the last one
With nothing to lose and heaven to gain
Here's to Alaska, here's to the people
Here's to the wild and here's to the free
Here's to my life in a chosen country
Here's to Alaska and me
Oh, for the fire on a cold winter's night
And once more to gaze at the great northern lights
For all of the beauty my children will see
Here's to Alaska and me
Here's to Alaska, here's to the people
Here's to the wild and here's to the free
Here's to my life in a chosen country
Here's to Alaska and me

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and joining the conversation.