Monday, March 5, 2018

This Is Me

Last night I watched the Oscars... which I do every year, but I don't always enjoy it every year... but I still watch it every year.  If anything, I always realize how completely out of touch I am with movies and Hollywood (and liberals -- I'm sorry, but its true).

I will say, last night's Academy Awards seemed a little less arrogant than in past years.  They actually thanked the fans who support the movies that allow them to continue in their work.  They also had a tribute to the men and women of the armed forces.  There seemed to be less overall politics highlighted in the show, with the exception of a strong emphasis on gender equality in movies.

All that to say, one reason I tuned in to this year's Oscars was because I wanted to see any awards won by The Greatest Showman... one of the very few movies from 2017 that I saw in the theater.  About an hour into the show, I finally googled the nominees because I had heard nothing about The Greatest Showman all night.  Come to find out, the movie, which I thought was wonderful, entertaining, full of talent, and a joy to watch was nominated in one category -- Best Song.  I was really disaointed that it was not recognized in other categories, but the song for which it was nominated was amazing, and so I looked forward to watching that performance.

The Greatest Showman didn't win best song, only further emphasizing how my tastes differ greatly from those of The Academy, but I wanted to share the song on my blog because its just that good.

When I looked on youtube for a music video or clips from the movie to share, I couldn't find any video that really did the song justice.  That is, until I watched a clip that was a little longer, that began with an interview, and then showed footage from the first time the actress sung the song in front of an audience during a workshop to get the movie "greenlit" to move forward.

The interview helps give the context... and then the footage of the song... well, let's just say, it does the song justice.

Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and joining the conversation.