Thursday, March 12, 2020

March 12

March 12 is my sister’s birthday. 

My girls each have two sisters. My boys each have three sisters. 

I had one half sister and she was born 21 years before I was. 

She died when I was 18. 

When I grieve my sister, I grieve the years we never had together more than I miss the years we did have together. 

At one point in her adult life she had two dogs, two cats, and 12 birds. A little excessive, one might say. I tolerated the birds. There were some that I liked and some I did not like, but I tolerated them all. 

Fast forward 20 years and I have one dog, one cat, and five children. A little excessive, one might say. Would my sister relate to my children the way I related to her birds? Would there be children she likes and children she does not, but would she tolerate them all?

Or would our common excess — her excessive animals and my excessive children be our true common ground in understanding each other?  Perhaps in our different eccentricities, we would find kinship and true camaraderie.

Perhaps.




1 comment:

  1. This quote means a lot to me. I saw a quote recently about how one of the hardest parts of grieving is the expectations others have of how you should grieve and how long. I have found that to be true! Thank you for sharing and I do understand. Blessings, Shirley

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and joining the conversation.